Saturday, May 28, 2011

The Greatest Accomplishment Starts With One Step

How did I meet my goal today, my friends? How did I make an impact?

Well today's accomplishment was given to a little "lady" and my son.  This little canine came to my house with a smile and filled the house up with excitement and passion but most of all motivation. Lady, a King Charles Cavalier (looks kind of like a Cocker Spaniel) visited me today. We played, cuddled, but most importantly walked around the block.

We made it to the end of the street before I sent my son home for the monsterous walker. I was so angry with myself that I needed a piece of metal to help me do something so basic as walking around the block. Will this be the norm? 

I then made it another length of the block with the dreaded metal legs before I tired out. I looked down and saw the puddles ahead of me. "No problem, but it is going to get tricky" I thought. As I wiggled my toes I felt the confines of a light cotton on my feet. I realized that though wearing only socks might give me confidence to walk freely, it is not the best for walking in puddles. My feet began to drag and my toes were getting the brunt of it. My toe nails scaped the uneven pavement and my feet began to beg me for mercy. What was I doing? The once comfortable cotton that held my feet were now resmebling shredded cheese. I should of worn shoes but I also was wanting to walk better. What would you choose?  It was then I started to notice my walking. My feet were not raising over an inch or two and my knees were refusing to bend. My toes were taking on a rose color and I was beginning to think that I had made a major mistake. 

Despite scrapping my toes on the sidewalk, my legs began to feel heavy. I had gone for a simple walk and now my body began to feel as if it had dove into quicksand. Each step became more difficult than the last. Tears began to surface under my eyes and felt as if I was on the brim of defeat. What had I done? I was crazy for even attempting to make it around the block. I was mad at myself for even trying to do something that was destined to fail. Why did I even try? Don't I have enough hurt feelings every day? Was I now turning to masocism? It was too late to turn back and it was too hard to move forward. I wanted to dwell in this moment forever and basically feel sorry for myself. After all, I deserve it, right?


But how was I accomplishing my daily goal?

Today ladies and gentlemen, I found my inspiration in a little dog and an eight year old boy. Once I realized that the rest of the hike was going to be a struggle, I looked ahead and saw the people who took this tremendous journey with me. Maybe not a journey for them but a tremendous feat for me. Up ahead I saw my son, Lady (the dog), and my two neighbors. They were enjoying their walk and smiling back at me. They had not seen or felt the struggle that I faced. The strife then seem to disappear and I moved forward but much more slowly than I would have liked. I learned that though to me the world felt like thick cement, to them, their world was free flowing and they take the waves as they come.  Their world if full of JOY 

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry about who reads and who does not. This blog is for you...you are a wonderful communicator...and these words have to flow out of you...or you won't be a well person. There is a saying, "be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some battle". Those who moved about freely also attempt "their walks around the block". You blogging helps me get to
    know you better. I am enriched.by you putting your thoughts and experiences into words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect way to say how you are feeling. I am glad that you were able to overcome and be positive. I think wearing shoes will help sweetie

    ReplyDelete