Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Have You Ever Lit a Candle?

As a wife, mother, teacher, and a person with MS, I have been told that I am an inspiration. I really do not feel that way. I feel that I am someone that strives to succeed in any situation. I don't think any one else in the same situation would be any different. It is my belief that if you want something go after it and if you don't like something change it. As a 38 year old female, I am now facing several new issues. I recently broke my legs which helped kicked my MS symptoms into overdrive.  I have been told that I do not recognize my limits but in fact the reality is I want to stay independent.

I am now learning to deal with a world that is different to me. At times, I feel like an alien exploring a world that accepts me through eyes of pity. It has to be hard to understand. How can I look like the inhabitants of this world but act like a walking crisis. People of this world speak a language similar to mine but they really are just nodding their head in agreement. Their body language tells you that they don't really understand. You are a foreigner and no matter how hard the struggle, it is hard for people to understand. No one ever seems happy with their surroundings. It is a strange world and God has chosen me to live in it.

It can be discouraging to choose to struggle every day when safety and comfort live in a 10 by 12 room and on a queen size bed. I have been considered a unique person with an outgoing personality. Even before MS, God gave me a high drive to overcome the impossible. I just never knew that the impossible would include the most basic tasks. Despite how I feel on the inside, every day I see how I light up the world with the tiniest spark.

Did you ever notice that a small candle can light up an entire room?

Every single person in this world has a struggle. Mine just happens to be MS.  People that surround you daily either have a flame or a burnt out candle. When you encounter people are you showing a small flame or a burnt out candle? It doesn't matter if you ever light up the whole room with a glow.  Do you have a glow?

Light a small candle right now in a dark room. If the light reflects off a flat surface you will see a big light shining off the surface. The smallest glow creates the biggest light. I know that in my short 38 years, I have shined on mine people. More importantly, people have used their small candle to make me a bright flame. There have also been times that I was a burnt out candle that had a wick so small it seemed impossible to light. Do you know it has been people not technology, alcohol, or anything else that helped light my flame?
What lights your flame? A loved one? A pet? A friend?

Even though every day my flame may needs to be reignited, I know it will just take a little spark from someone. When was the last time you told the person they were your igniter? Who helps you be a brighter flame? Have you been there to help light some one's flame? Have you been there to light up some one's life that is not a loved one or partner? What was it like?

Remember the tiniest fire can start from the smallest spark. Be a light for some one's candle. It can help you feel good and as you know fire spreads rapidly.

Tell me your story. Let's share and be each others candle!

Here is just my neighbors, friends, family, and followers.  Where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment