Monday, June 27, 2011

It Is Not A Small World

When I was a child, I loved the ride "It Is A Small World" ride. I never really understood why I held a deep passion for a bunch of little dolls that were doomed to sing an incestuous song over and over again in every language that God had created.  I remember riding in the large boat and feeling that everyone was basically the same. It didn't matter where you lived or if your rich or poor; everyone goes through something. You are never alone. That thought always brought me a feeling of peace and a feeling of safety. At that time, I felt the whole world was on the same boat.




As I grew older, the world grew into a dangerous and ugly place. I began to notice homeless people, drug use, alcoholism, poverty, and abuse of every kind. Still young and inspired to change the world, I journeyed into the world of journalism. Chicago was a great town to become a muckraker.  It has been known as a city of corruption, poverty, and for a young journalist; it could also be a city of opportunity. At that time, it had to be an opportunity that I had to pass up. Beginning journalists must begin as freelancers before they are hired to be full-time reporters. Though the thought of being a freelance writer was exciting, I needed a    guaranteed paycheck, insurance, and most importantly, I needed to move out of my parents house!

It seemed that the world was not small at all and not everyone was on the same "boat". Discouraged but still determined and ambitious, I got married and got MS. I didn't have anything else to do (that was a joke!).  At that point, I still felt good about life but my view on the world changed. No longer did I see a world of happy people singing the same mind-blowing song over and over again. The realization occurred to me that everyone in the world not only wears different clothes than those on my favorite boat ride, they also wear different faces! It was astounding the way people only thought of themselves as big trees in a forest. They could only see themselves and fought hard not to be chopped down. No one now cared about extenuating circumstances or how their actions affected others. Many did not have room for "Joy" in their lives. It seemed that my perfect "small world" was quickly becoming an evil and dark place.There were hardships every where. It was during that time, I encountered sinister managers, money hungry business owners,  back stabbing co-workers, and good friends who made themselves scarce to nonexistent. My "small world" was no longer sharing the same experiences and thoughts that I had. My "small world" was getting bigger  and unfamiliar as each year past.


At this age, I now see that it is not "a small world" but it is more of a epic novel. It seems that "It Is A Small World" has a whole new meaning and here it is...



During this past week on vacation, I may not have been too far off with the "small world" philosophy.  It is just backwards.  It can be "A Small World" if you just believe it. I reside in a small world. It now consists of a 1800 sq. foot home. Beyond these walls lies mountains, rivers, forests, and most importantly people who are facing all kinds of battles.  Now as I approach my middle age years and as I face a monster that shows no mercy or consistency or predictability, I feel my war is in a smaller world than I thought. I promise myself that the next time I face new weapons of destruction, I will remember that there are bigger and badder bombs out there.

What battle are you facing right now?  Are you living in a small world that keeps getting bigger?  How has your view of the world changed now that your older?  Let me know, please!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment